Our law practice is not about us; it’s about our clients.
Candace Crouse has tried some of the most high-profile and complex state and federal criminal cases in the region. She has authored numerous appellate briefs and argued cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and the Hamilton County Court of Appeals. She has also spoken at local and national continuing legal education courses on a variety of criminal justice issues.
She is one of approximately 25 attorneys, and currently the only woman chosen by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Cincinnati Division, to serve on the Criminal Justice Act Panel, which is a select group of qualified and court-approved attorneys. Candace also teaches at the National Criminal Defense College, part of Mercer Law School, in Macon, Georgia.
Candace’s experience as a federal law clerk has provided her with a unique perspective on judicial decision-making that has served her clients well. During law school, she externed for the Honorable Algenon L. Marbley, U.S. District Court Judge for the Southern District of Ohio. She then spent the first two years of her legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable Frederick P. Stamp, Jr., U.S. District Court Judge for the Northern District of West Virginia. During her two-year clerkship, Judge Stamp twice sat by designation on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, giving Candace the opportunity to experience judicial decision-making at the appellate level in addition to the district court level.
Candace earned her J.D. from The Ohio State University College of Law, where she was a managing editor of The Ohio State Law Journal and a member of the Civil Rights Moot Court team.
Other Notable Accomplishments:
- Graduate of the National Criminal Defense College Trial Practice Institute
- Member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Sixth Circuit Vice-Chair of the NACDL Amicus Committee
- 2012-13 President of the Greater Cincinnati Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Appointed by the Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Professionalism to be a member of a committee to create a set of Professionalism Dos and Don’ts for Prosecutors and Defense Attorneys
- Fellow of the Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Cincinnati College of Law (Criminal Defense Investigation and Discovery)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Criminal Defense, 2012-2015
- Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense, 2016-2019
- Best Lawyers®, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2015-2019
- Best Lawyers®, Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2016-2019
- Best Lawyers®, “Cincinnati Lawyer of the Year” Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2018
- Best Lawyers®, “Cincinnati Lawyer of the Year” Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2019
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit